Carmelo has extensive knowledge in Paediatric Eyecare having attained a post-graduate module in Paediatric Optometry and Binocular Vision.
- The importance of regular examinations for children is paramount.
- Up to 80 % of sensory input in visual.
- Healthy eyes and vision is a critical part of a child’s development.
- Important to check their vision and alignment / coordination.
- Research shows that around 20% of school-aged children have an undiagnosed vision problem (Data from Professor David Thomson, City University, London)
WHAT TESTS ARE PERFORMED?
- Measurement of sight: assessed using letter matching cards or preferential looking cards
- Refraction: check if a prescription for vision correction is required. This is assessed objectively ie we rely on what we see to determine rather than responses given by the child. The instrument we use to determine this is called a Retinoscope and involves shining a light into the eye
- Binocular Vision function: we observe how the eyes work together when looking near and far, and when in different directions
- Assess focusing ability: important when performing near vision tasks e.g reading
- Colour Vision: Important to establish if there is a colour vision defect early to assist in schooling and appropriate advice can be given for future careers. 1 in 13 boys will have a colour vision defect – will perceive colours in a different way
- Ocular Health : ensure the eyes are healthy both externally and internally
”Fantastic service very friendly and great with children. Won't use anyone else anymore.